Clifford's Fireplaces Ltd.

Comparing Wood Burning Stoves and Open Fireplaces: Making the Right Choice for Your Home

Helsinki 54" Marble Fireplace

Keep Up-to-Date

Comparing Wood Burning Stoves and Open Fireplaces: Making the Right Choice for Your Home

Choosing between a wood-burning stove and an open fireplace is a timeless dilemma, akin to other age-old debates like ‘Blur or Oasis’ or ‘Barry’s or Lyons Tea.’ Everyone seems to have a preference in this ongoing discussion, with each option presenting its own set of pros and cons. To guide you in making an informed decision for your home, we’ve delved into the thermal properties of both the classic open fireplace and the cozy enclosed wood-burning stove.

 

Edge 54" Stone Fireplace

Wood Burning Stove

Wood-burning stoves operate on two key heating principles: radiation and convection. Radiation heat emanates directly from the stove, warming surfaces in close proximity. For optimal efficiency, it’s crucial to choose a stove with the right energy output for your room, typically ranging from 5-8KW. Convection heat, on the other hand, warms the air around the fireplace and circulates it throughout the room, making convection stoves more effective in heating larger areas. Modern wood-burning stoves boast an impressive 80% energy efficiency due to controlled air intake, ensuring thorough combustion and maximum heat output compared to open fireplaces.

 

Gazco eReflex 55RW

Open Fireplace

Open fireplaces, while nostalgic and charming, are not the most efficient choice. Studies indicate that only around 30% of the energy produced in an open fire transfers as heat into the room, with the remaining 70% lost up the chimney. Similar to stoves, open fireplaces rely on radiation heat, but the drawback is that only the immediate area in front of the fire experiences significant warmth. The inefficiencies are further exacerbated by draughts, causing fuel to burn quickly and incompletely, resulting in lower energy potential and diminished heat production.

 

Vitae 6 Cassette

Home Building Regulations in Ireland

As awareness of open fireplace inefficiencies has grown, Irish building regulations now mandate higher standards for new homes. Since 2014, newly constructed homes must attain at least an A3 Energy Rating, emphasizing airtightness, energy efficiency, and overall performance. CO2 emissions from open fireplaces are considerably higher than those from stoves, potentially jeopardizing compliance with these regulations. Studies indicate that open fireplaces emit up to 15 times more CO2 than stoves, highlighting the environmental impact of this traditional choice.

 

Riva 2 50

Particulate Matter and Health Implications

Beyond CO2 emissions, open fireplaces also produce higher levels of Particulate Matter (PM) compared to closed stoves. PM, comprising gases and dust emitted during combustion, can impact indoor air quality. Open fireplaces may produce up to 50 times more PM than closed stoves due to the more thorough combustion process in enclosed stoves, further emphasizing the health implications of this choice.

 

Riva 2 55

Improving Efficiency in Open Fireplaces

If you’re committed to your open fireplace but seek improved efficiency, there are practical steps to consider. Regular chimney maintenance is crucial to prevent inefficiencies caused by creosote buildup. Installing a chimney damper can also help retain heat and prevent down draughts, offering a simple solution to combat heat loss. Additionally, innovative products like EcoGrate inserts can enhance the efficiency of open fireplaces, providing a cost-effective alternative to replacing the entire fireplace with a wood-burning stove. While this option comes at a price (€565-625), it offers improved heat output and reduced fuel costs, making it a viable compromise for those who cherish their open fireplace.

Shopping cart0
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping
0